Who We Serve
Referrals are accepted from any source within the community. NOW clients must be Bexar County residents who
- are adults (age 18 or older)
- have mild to moderate symptoms (no need for intensive services)
- are not currently receiving overlapping behavioral health services in the community
- have not been hospitalized for mental health reasons in the past 30 days
- may be struggling with substance use, without a need for immediate detox or medical treatment
NOW accepts most major insurances, including Medicare and Medicaid. The clinic also accepts CareLink.
Prescribers at the NOW Clinic typically do not treat clients whose primary psychiatric medication is a psychostimulant or benzodiazepine.
New clients will be scheduled to meet with either a counselor, a psychiatrist, or a case manager, depending on their screening. Clients will be scheduled initially with a psychiatrist or mental health nurse practitioner if they clearly exhibit symptoms that are optimally treated with medication. Most clients’ initial appointment will be with a counselor, who will start evidence-based treatment and further assess the need for medication.
Scheduled and Missed Appointments
- Cancellation policy: If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment at the NOW, please call 24 hours in advance.
- You will be discharged from the NOW Clinic if you no-show three appointments with any provider in a 12-month period. A no-show is a scheduled appointment that you miss without calling us or cancel an hour or less before the appointment.
- If you are discharged, a case manager will help you find other care in the community, if needed.
For ANY physical health emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. In case of a mental health emergency outside of business hours, you may
- call 911
- go to the nearest emergency room
- call the Mobile Crisis Outreach Team (in Bexar County) at 210-223-7233
- call (210) 450-7222 for on-call physician services